Re: Nautilus desktop icons and metacity - another point of view

Il dom, 2003-06-01 alle 05:03, D. D. Brierton ha scritto:
> I'm rather loathe to bring this up, as I suspect it has been argued and
> flamed over before (although I could find nothing on it in the recent
> archives), but I really felt I had to say something about this. I
> honestly believe that given the current GNOME default setup, nautilus'
> desktop icons should be on the right of the screen, and not the left.

Well, IMHO the main trouble is not "icons are on left they should be on
right", but "Metacity should open centered windows".

Someone said that if you want GNOME to behave just like OSX, buy a Mac,
but PLEASE take a took at this link

http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/Essentials/AquaHIGuidelines/AHIGWindows/chapter_5_section_6.html

It's the Aqua HIG, the page related to placing windows. You can hate
Apple for their patent/closed_source/coolness/whatever policy, but you
have to admit they have 2 decades of user caring, isn't it?

IMHO it's more logical then left-open in GNOME (and KDE? and Win?), and
more comfortable for user (personally I can say that I always move
focused and editing window in the middle of the screen, for example
while I'm writing this mail :-P).
Besides, 'cause typically I (but I think all us) don't place any icons
in the middle of the screen, but on borders, a middle sized window can't
hide them.
Plus this can add a little coherence with modal dialog/alerts, 'cause we
open them in the middle of parent window

Are there any big troubles to don't make it? Are there any big reasons
to keep top/left placing? I've to open a bug in bugzilla?

--
Think bigger

			My uncle