Re: [Usability]Re: HIGfing the properties windows

On 19 Feb 2003, Calum Benson wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-02-19 at 20:46, Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) wrote:
>> One question.  Doesn't it go *against* the spirit of the HIG to define
>> sizes in pixels?  What about themes which change inter-widget spacing?
>>  There are a few!  Another thing: what's the standard measuring unit
>> used in GTK and in the HIG?
>
> Pixels.  The HIG team know this is bad and the GTK team know this is
> bad, but right now it's all we have :)  Jonathan posted a proposal to
> rectify this recently:
>
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2003-February/msg00009.html

Given that using any fixed kind of measure will run into the same kind of
problems with very small or very large display, shouldn't we abstract the
size instead?  Instead of HIG saying 'foo padding is 6 pixels/1 mm/200
TWIP', there should be a gtk_standard_foo_padding() function (or variable).

-Lars
--
Lars Clausen (http://shasta.cs.uiuc.edu/~lrclause)| HÃ¥rdgrim of Numenor