Re: An object Oriented File Manager Design

On Wed, 2003-02-19 at 10:18, MArk Finlay wrote:
> I do agree that this idea, if ever implemented, would need a lot of a11y
> thought. But the issues you mention are to do with the nautilus file
> viewes and exist already AFAIK. The context menu issue would of course
> be more important if they are being relied upon as in the design. There
> must be a keybord shortcut for the context menu. I even have a goddamn
> little context menu button on my keyboard that doesn't do anything.

There's already a standard "open context menu" shortcut: Ctrl+F10.
However, right now it always opens the menu where the mouse pointer
happens to be, which isn't much use for people using screen magnifiers
etc.

One concern about the lack of menubars is that they provide an important
self-documentation facility... by looking at an application's menubar,
users can get a complete overview of what the application is capable of,
and browsing all the menus is often the first thing a user does when
they first run a new application.  Menubars also document all the
application's keyboard shortcuts in the one place, whereas context menus
traditionally don't show shortcuts to reduce clutter and hence maximize
their effectiveness.

Cheeri,
Calum.