Re: Why file content sniffing sucks

On Wed, 2003-12-24 at 07:07, Fabio Gomes wrote:
> It finally happened. Today I was creating a project. I was using
> Nautilus to create the folders. I created a 'doc' folder where I started
> to write some text files explaining the project. It is a simple backup
> script. One of the text files I wrote was an example of a backup job
> descriptor. The file name was example.txt. The first line of the file
> had a <heade> rtag. After I closed vim, Nautilus ASSUMED that it was an
> HTML file, so it PREVENTED me from opening the f %(#$*%ing file from the
> "incredibly high-quality GNOME UI". The only options were Mozilla and
> OpenOffice. This prevented me from working for several minutes while I
> tried to figure out how to open that damn file without going to the
> console.

Hmm, so when I right-click on an html file in nautilus and choose Open
With > Other Application..., it gives me a nice long list of text
editors including vim & emacs that aren't in the menu by default. From
there its trivial to tell GNOME that I want gvim in the menu, to be the
default handler, or to just use it this time. Perhaps this isn't
"discoverable" enough (to use old Eazel parlance).

Ian