Re: FR: random wallpaper changer

On Sun, 2003-08-10 at 10:56, Petri Kanerva wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-08-11 at 07:22, Sridhar R wrote:
> > Petri Kanerva wrote....
> > {
> > And why code this functionality into nautilus? What
> > about users that
> > don't use nautilus, but still want this functionality?
> > A separate tool is best
> > }
> >
> > But GNOME uses nautilus for the desktop, hence it
> > would be good if this feature is intergrated into
> > GNOME (or equally Nautilus)
>

> FYI Gnome uses gnome-desktop for the desktop. If nautilus is set up to
> draw the desktop, it just copies the image that is shown on desktop by
> gnome-desktop, and draws it's own desktop (the one with the icons) on
> top of the "real" desktop. Even without Nautilus running, you'd have a
> beautifull wallpaper with gnome. That's why a separate tool is better,
> so it works for those who use nautilus and those who don't.
>
> I have a funny screenshot from time before the official 2.0 release,
> when nautilus draw it's desktop a bit of, so the "real" desktop was
> shown from under it, and that proved that they are essentially drawn on
> top of each other.

Um. Thats not *quite* how it works. If Nautilus is not running,
gnome-settings-daemon (which is started on login to gnome by
gnome-session) sets the X root window background pixmap. However if
Nautilus runs, it sets the root window background itself instead.
Additionally Nautilus opens a new window (the desktop window) over the
root window, and sets the correct background pixmap on that window too.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a fast talking hunchbacked assassin with a passion for fast cars. She's a
violent punk wrestler from out of town. They fight crime!