Re: The future direction of the Nautilus UI

On Wed, 2002-09-04 at 17:29, Reginald Melchisedek Poyau wrote:
> I think that we are losing site of the goal here;To have a filemanager
> that allows users to efficiently manage and access their files locally
> or *remotely*.  The question I now have is, how is a pure "OO nautilus"
> more efficient in that respect to a "navigation nautilus"?
>
> Example:
> 1) /home/reg/Documents/Multimedia/Videos/Animee/Movies
> I would have what 6 six open windows (5 unwanted) to get to files in
> Movies.  Also what happens if a window for one folder is already open in
> another workspace?

I loved OS/2's workplace shell, but other than the unified
folder=workspace=session, I cannot say it made me more productive.  I've
noticed that mac users don't open 5 unwanted windows to get to the
sixth, they open one, switch to list/tree view, then navigate using the
the tree (">") handles to open ("V") the subfolders.

OO and navigation have their strengths, I believe we should take the
best of both.  I suspect the navigation model is harder not by nature,
but by the fact that OO desktops got the message to the user with better
documentation, tutorials, and demonstrations.  Some presentation/SMIL
tutorials might be a better investment then throwing most of nautilus
away.

PS.  I think some people on the usability list could provide some
insight in to question of switching from the navigation model to the OO
model for file management and desktop.

--

sinzui cox net