Re: Dangerous behavior when moving a mounted directory on the desktop

On Thu, 2002-10-10 at 06:34, Abe Fettig wrote:
> I keep all my important files on a separate disk partition from my main
> linux install, so that I can access them from other operating systems.
> When in linux, this partition is mounted off my home directory, at
> /home/abe/files.
>
> Yesterday I went to rearrange some of the icons on my desktop (I'm using
> the "home directory on the desktop option), and I dragged the "files"
> icon to another part of the screen.  To my surprise, Nautilus popped up
> the "copying files" dialog.  I thought that maybe I'd dropped the icon
> on another folder instead, so I hit cancel.  After a couple of seconds,
> the "copying files" dialog dissapeared, and a "deleting files" dialog
> popped up intstead.  That seemed strange, but I assumed it was just
> removing the copies it had started to make.  However, after a few
> seconds, I realized it was deleting all the files in my original "files"
> folder!!!
>
> Of course I quickly hit cancel, and it stopped deleting.  But seeing my
> most important files dissapearing (yes, I have a backup, but it's a few
> days old and I've done some work since then) was very scary.  As far as
> I can tell this bug is caused by the convergence of desktop-as-home-dir
> and the way Nautilus handles seperate partitions.  Rather than just
> moving the icon, Nautilus actually wanted to start copying files, and
> then it seemed to think the original source directory was the target
> directory and that it needed to be cleaned up.
>
> I'd be most appreciative if somebody could fix this.

It would be most effective if you could file a bug report at
bugzilla.gnome.org. But reports to the list tend to get lost.

Thanks,
John
--
John Fleck
http://www.inkstain.net http://www.abqjournal.com

"Sometimes, a diner is all about the mac and cheese."
  - Zippy the Pinhead