Writing a Nautilus view

I am currently writing a Nautilus view, but I am having a few
problems. I am using the sample view and the music view for
inspiration. The view will eventually become a picture gallery view
(as per tigert's suggestion in an earlier mail to this list).

The problems I am having are as follows:

1) Making the .server file work correctly. A picture gallery view
   should of course only be active when there are actually pictures in
   the directory (just liekt he music view is only active when there
   are mp3 files in a directory). So I thought I could the .server
   file from the music view and replace the lines requiring
   audio/x-mp3 with image/* or image/jpeg - but neither of those
   work. Does anyone have an idea as to why that may be?

2) I have to layout image previews, and instead of doing it myself is
   it possible to inherit from the icon view, so that a lot of this
   gets easier?

3) Is it possible to use the nautilus icon container when writing a
   stand-alone view? The same goes for NautilusFile? As far as I can
   tell they are defined in libnautilus-private, and therefore
   impossible to access from the outside.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

--
Debugging is anticipated with distaste,