Re: [Nautilus-list] Desktop --more --more --more

On Sat, 2002-03-23 at 00:33, Anne et Bertrand wrote:

    - the desktop isn't a directory, it's a place for work. See the macos :
    each removable (and each partition) media has a hidden "Desktop Folder"
    (that's his name). All these directories are displayed at once on the
    desktop (some kind of vfolder ?). This way, you can put some file "on the
    desktop", without any real move of the file itself on the disk, or from a
    disk to another. The desktop is just a place where you can get files
    directly visible and clickable on your screen.

The files on the desktop need to be accessible easily from both the
shell, gnome file selector and also non-gnome applications.

The thing in macos is, all applications use the same file selector that
takes the desktop into account. We do not have that. I know desktop ==
home has some issues too, but if the desktop is anywhere else, the other
applications will need to find the desktop folder from somewhere, even
worse if it is a hidden directory (like it is now if it is not $HOME)

I think we should put down the terminals for a week and use GNOME from
the GUI only - we might have interesting discoveries. If gnome is not
usable without the shell we have failed somewhere. It should be
interesting to try. I think I will do that, although I am not using the
shell much for file management anymore anyway.

Tuomas

--
:: :: Tuomas Kuosmanen  :: Art Director, Ximian :: ::
:: :: tigert ximian com :: www.ximian.com       :: ::