Re: SV: [Nautilus-list] Desktop folder

On Mon, 2002-03-18 at 09:22, Mattias Eriksson wrote:
    The easiest way to access the desktop is to have the $HOME as desktop.
    And for new uses I think this would be the default option since this
    make the desktop much more useful. OK it's not a good idea to just turn
    it on since a lot of peoples dektops will be quite useless since they
    contain to many files...

Nah, they'll just finally get around to clean it. Like I did. I had
*never* seen such a cluttered desktop in my life when I first made
desktop be $HOME. But it took a day or so to clean it (nautilus works
great for stuff like that)

    So I don't know how to solve this, but I realy think that having $HOME
    as desktop should be the best way from a new user point of view.

    Did anyone do any user testing of this?

If anyone did, I would be interested in hearing about it. I use my
homedir as the desktop, and it works great here. The only thing that is
annoying are a few non-hidden dirs that I dont need to be visible, like
bin/, evolution/, etc.

But a smart user can hide those under the panel :-) (move the panel
away, put the folders at the very edge of the screen and move the panel
back)

Tuomas

--
:: :: Tuomas Kuosmanen  :: Art Director, Ximian :: ::
:: :: tigert ximian com :: www.ximian.com       :: ::