Re: [Nautilus-list] Activation problems

On 3/8/02 11:47 AM, "Havoc Pennington" <hp redhat com> wrote:

> I don't know if it's relevant but I told Maciej the secret way to get
> the canonical name of a display - getenv("DISPLAY") should never be
> used here.

It is definitely relevant. The main function in Nautilus had code to setenv
DISPLAY to be DisplayString (GDK_DISPLAY ()), although we just removed that.
I think this may have led to the problem I was seeing in the first place,
although I'm not certain.

> gdk_get_display() returns
> the one that you do NOT want, as it uses XDisplayName().
>
> I'm not sure if this should be fixed in GDK or not, cc'ing Owen.
>
> You _do_ want XDisplayName()/getenv for reporting error messages to
> the user like "can't open display foo", though.
>
> Anyhow you need a canonical name to make per-display scoping in
> bonobo-activation work correctly, for obvious reasons.

This is unfortunate, because gdk_get_display () is now used explicitly both
in libbonoboui and in 4 or 5 places in nautilus. Michael had thought that it
was the function to call to get the canonical form.

Michael, can you follow through on this and make sure it gets fixed?

    -- Darin