Re: [Nautilus-list] Compiling question

Hi Louis,

On Tue, 2002-03-05 at 01:01, Louis Garcia wrote:
> I am currently running rh7.2 on a i686. Would recompiling nautilus for the
> i686 arch produce faster binaries? If so what would those optimizations be?

	You would get a better result by putting a little effort in to backport
some of the speedups into the 1.4 platform.

	The history pixmap broadcasting is somewhat ripe for this, and should
only take a few minutes to put some sort of hack in to make it work,
similarly the gnome vfs init patch I just committed accelerates startup
time nicely with minimal intrusion (after Darin fixed it), oh and
possible the bonobo-activation query cache would be nice.

	Algorithmic optimization is going to hammer i686 compilation every day
- it's just a little harder to do ;-)

	Regards,

		Michael.