Re: [Nautilus-list] Proposed Open with menu change

On 3 Mar 2002, Jonas De Vuyst wrote:

> > I guess looking at the mime type for all the selected items and list the
> > apps that support all of the selected mime-types. Then you probably need
> > to look at the can_open_multiple_files flag and warn if the action would
> > need to launch multiple copies of the app, and let the user cancel the
> > action.
>
> AFAICT opening multiple files in one application is currently not
> supported (though the control center does let you set up this property).
>
> I would, however, implement this feauture. In case the application
> doesn't support opening multiple files I'd keep the current behavior,
> which is what you described.
>
> If I implement this feauture first and submit a patch, would this get
> included in the GNOME 2 release? Making all changes described in recent
> mails will take me quite some time and I assume there's a code freeze of
> some sort.

It will be included when it is done. There is no guarantee that will be
before the Gnome 2.0 release, but there is always a new release after
that, and another one after that... Basically, don't feel like you *have*
to make it in the 2.0 release, instead work on the patch until it's done.

There will probably not be an official "freeze", but we will perhaps be
slightly against taking large patches just before the release.

> > They would need to be modified to allow multiple mimetypes and multiple
> > files too. The only part that wouldn't really work with this is the
> > "Modyfy..." button and corresponding label. Perhaps that could be made
> > inactive and the label changed to some descriptive text that says why it's
> > disabled.
>
> Ok.
>
> What should I do with the status column in the application listing?
> AFAIK there now are three possibilities, being "not in menu", "in menu
> for "<filetype>", "default for "<filetype>".
>
> I see four possible options:
>
> 1/ Have status either say "not in menu" or "in menu".
>
> 2/ Same as option 1 but have it also say what files or filetypes use the
> application or viewer as default. This is my personal preference.
>
> 3/ A larger extension would be to say if it's in the menu, not in the
> menu or default for every selected file (or filetype depending on the
> settings). This could result into very long texts though, since the list
> doesn't have a horizontal scrollbar this might not be a good idea.
>
> 4/ Finally the dialog could use a plain list instead of a
> list-with-columns when multiple files are selected but I know very
> little about Gtk+ and it might also be confusing.

I like 2 too.

> I figure the Go There button should jump to the first (or alphabetically
> last as that's how the list is sorted) known file type of the selected
> files.

It should probably start gnome2-file-types-properties and pre-select the
first type, but not open the dialog for that type. I assume this is what
you meant?

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a benighted bohemian vagrant on his last day in the job. She's a
manipulative wisecracking vampire with the soul of a mighty warrior. They
fight crime!