Re: Reducing the number of special uris in gnome

On Fri, 2002-06-28 at 12:33, Alexander Larsson wrote:

> There is already one place where you can reach everything else,
> start-here:. There will never be "only one place". I mean, there are
> subdirs to applications:// that are other places.

No right now there are four seperate uris that are used to launch apps
(applications://, preferences://, system-settings://,
server-settings://) I meant one central starting point for launching
applications in nautilus (of course users should be able to do whatever
they want ,adding launcher to directories etc., but we should try to
create a consistent easy to use default).

> > This is similar to mac finder in osx. There is one directory where all
> > apps (including the macs version of the control-center) is launched
> > from. I think having doubled functionality is confusing. I'm not the
> > only one either...
>
> Yes. In gnome this is start-here.

No it isn't, it's applications://. (That was the whole point of the
vfolder method right, lets us created this one location for launching
all apps that is not hardcoded to a central location though).

> So you want to expose the fact to users that our settings dialogs are in
> fact applications?

Seth already made this decision when he put preferences in the
applications menu (and therefore in the applications:// directory).

(applications://Preferences, applications://system)

dave