Re: PATCH for some random stuff.

On Wed, 2002-06-26 at 09:46, Abe Fettig wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-06-26 at 10:39, Darin Adler wrote:
>
> > Anyway, I gather from the tone of Dave Bordoley's initial message that
> > more experienced users are nudging icons and getting annoyed that a
> > dialog appears, so perhaps it's time to reconsider the original design.
>
> Usually I get this dialog when I've started to drag an icon somewhere,
> and then for some reason (like realizing the application I was dragging
> it into doesn't support drag and drop) I want to back out. I know I can
> hit escape to cancel the drag, but since I'm doing in the middle of a
> mouse-based action it seems unnatural to have to use the keyboard.  So I
> drag the icon back to where it was, and release it.  However, I usually
> end up dropping it a few pixels away from where it was, and I get the
> (unwelcome) dialog.
>
> Abe

This may be a GTK+ issue rather than a purely nautilus issue, but how
hard would it be to cancel a drag if some other mouse button is pressed
before the button that initiated the drag is released?  This makes sense
to me but may have make the HIG folks scream.  The only problems I can
see with this approach would be for people with "Emulate3Buttons" on.
But they can always go back to hitting Esc.

--Shahms