Re: more bugs....

On Sat, 2002-06-15 at 00:38, Ryan Muldoon wrote:

    > bug 70543 -- please add commands to bzip or tar and bzip to the
    > right-click menu
    >
    > Isn't this what scripts support is for. I do think it would be nice to
    > include some default scripts with nautilus though.

    This is a specific case of a general problem - there should be a way to
    do more with specific MIME types.  Scripts aren't even determined by
    mime type, so you could have like 50 scripts in a list, when only 2 of
    them apply to the type of file you're looking at.  Some way of having
    "shell hooks" for other apps would be nice, so they could insert things
    into the right-click menu for given mime types.

Having a system-wide dir for scripts that one can override with
same-filename scripts on the user dir (or something) would be good
though - there are some useful scripts one would like to include in a
packaged nautilus for a distribution for example.

    > bug 47902 -- Support Windows .ico file format
    >
    > I don't think we should be bending backwards to support non free specs.

    Don't we support gifs already?  There's nothing wrong with at least a
    placeholder "wishlist" bug for getting .ico support on gdk-pixbuf, or
    wherever the appropriate place is.

My nautilus displays windows .ico files just great. Has done that for
ages. I can even use windows .ico files as custom icons for things - I
think this is a good thing - especially if you find some nice looking
windows icons (or want to make your desktop look more like windows to
make it easier for people with windows background or whatever.. or like
someone pointed out further in the thread, for Wine etc.)

Though the bug report originally talks about doing surgery on the .exe
files to get the (possible) .ico data from them. That it doesnt do
currently.

    Actually, I think this makes a lot of sense.  It has always bothered me
    that nautilus themes are in /usr/share/pixmaps, as there are also xml
    files.  It also seems that we have /usr/share/themes.  Only gtk puts
    stuff there for now, but they namespace their themes by putting them in
    a gtk or gtk2 directory.  So it would be nice if all gnome (and kde)
    themes moved there.  This would also make "metathemes" easier to
    distribute, because it would all be a single directory with a bunch of
    subdirectories.

Yes, I already updated my gtk theme to include both gtk1 and 2 versions
in the same tarball. Now, if everything (like metacity and sawfish etc)
used the same dir it would indeed be nice to make huge themeballs that
combine matching ones together.

$prefix/share/themes/gtk-2.0/
                     gtk/
                     nautilus/
                     metacity/
                     whatnot/
                     and/
                     their/
                     cat/

sort of looks like a nice idea at the first glance.

    or shift-rightclick on an app icon and get the "run as root" option.  OS
    X does this somehow, as does Win2000.  Since "simple" things like
    installing software, burning cds, etc require root, it would be a crappy
    user interface to require users to drop to a terminal whenever they do
    these fairly routine tasks.

Although, on annoyingly many cases you just simply need to re-login as
Administrator to win2k. I think there is a "sudo" for win2k though I
heard. But not in a default installation anyway.

Tuomas

--
:: :: Tuomas Kuosmanen  :: Art Director, Ximian :: ::
:: :: tigert ximian com :: www.ximian.com       :: ::