Re: nautilus-list digest, Vol 1 #103 - 7 msgs

nautilus-list gnome org writes:
>> bug 44772 -- double-clicking file name should start renaming (not open
>> file)
>>
>> Personally i think clicking should never start rename, we have a rename
>> option in the context menu, this is much cleaner and prevents users from
>> accidentally starting rename. I would actually like to see click for
>> rename removed from the list view as well since I'm always accidentally
>> starting renaming when i just want to open a folder
>
>This sounds like a ui detail that is very hard to get right (in fact, it
>seems neither windows nor mac got it right). Right now we're totally
>punting it, but the current method is sort of contrary to the direct
>manipulation model nautilus uses.
>
>I wouldn't be against someone experimenting with this, but we have to test
>the behaviour a lot before accepting it.

Hi,

I thought this a good moment to post a view. (I am keen on usability issues)

The fact is that Nautillus allows the user to press F2 (just like Windows) to
rename, as well as the context menu.  When renaming a file the user will have
their hands by the keyboard anyway, thus using F2 is faster and more
convenient.  The current behavior is fine.  The problem is few people know the
keyboard shortcut.

Mark Pawson

BSC Computing. (Sheffield Hallam University)