Re: more bugs....

On 15 Jun 2002, Ryan Muldoon wrote:

> > > State should be maintained wherever it can be, I think.  I want my
> > > windows popping up as I last left them.
> >
> > Thats a different issue. windows should maintain there sizes (i think
> > frank fixed this), but as for column widths isn't making it
> > automagically work just better?
> >
> No, I am not just talking about window sizes and locations on the
> desktop.  I mean *state*.  Ideally, the directory should be shown to me
> exactly as I last left it.  Possibly the most annoying thing about
> Nautilus right now is that if I scroll down halfway in a nautilus
> window, click on a folder, then go back, I am at the top of the
> directory again.  Although this is a different bug number, it
> illustrates my point.  State should be maintained to as great a level as
> possible.

Yeah. That is pretty irritating.

> > Regardless I don't think this belongs in the current nautilus ui. We
> > have a mechanism for providing such a feature, it is called scripting,
> > and in this specific case mime types are not an issue at all, since the
> > option to gzip or bzip would be available for any file. Now ungzipping
> > or unbziping will eventually be handled by nautilus very nicely, by
> > allowing the user to traverse a tar, gzip or bzip file in the file
> > manager, but this is a different issue.
> >
> Well, as I pointed out, scripts are ok, but not a good permenant
> solution to basic functionality needs.  I really don't see the
> harm/expense as leaving the bug with a "wishlist" milestone as a
> placeholder for desired functionality.  Once Nautilus handles the zip
> and tar files via gnome-vfs, then you can close the bug.

Sometimes it seems DaveB cares more about closing bugs in bugzilla than
using bugzilla as a tool to create useful software.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a shy neurotic dog-catcher looking for 'the Big One.' She's a disco-crazy
snooty fairy princess with a flame-thrower. They fight crime!