Re: more bugs....

On 14 Jun 2002, Dave Bordoley wrote:

> On the heels of the gnome2 release, I've gone through bugzilla and found
> some bugs i would like to close as won't fix, but need approval to do so
> first. here's the list. please let me know what ya think.
>
> dave
>
> nautilus
> -------------------------
> bug 42853 -- Can't spawn new window via javascript, no error message
>
> This bug only affects nautilus if we try to make it into a web browser.
> Galeon view sidesteps this issue by using it's own shell for these. I
> think this is adequate enough for the nautilus, since adding the code to
> nautilus to actually do this independent of galeon would have limited
> benefit.

Yes. That sounds good enough.

> bug 40048 -- display directory sizes instead of item counts
>
> Currently we display directory counts. Personally i like these and find
> them more useful than size counts.

I think directory sizes makes more sense from a usability standpoint (you
may want to delete the largest directory, but you rarely care about the
number of files in it). But since the cost of calculating the directory
size if so high (need to recurse into all subdirs) I think having
directory counts as an approximation is good enough.

We do show the directory size in the properties dialog anyway.

> bug 41591 -- the '/' level consumes a horizontal hierarchy level for
> little gain
>
> I think we have to leave the / level in if only for the reason that drag
> and drop into the root directory will not be possible if it's not there
> in the tree view

Not only that, I'd like there to be several toplevel nodes in the future.

> bug 42187 -- Can't configure desktop URI
>
> do we want the desktop uri to be configurable. Personally i think we
> should just have good defaults. Not to rehash the issue but basically if
> we switch to using ~/desktop as the default and $home as an alternative
> i think we have provided enough options

I agree.

> bug 44633 -- Cannot rename default icons on desktop
>
> A feature request to be able to rename mounted file system icons and
> trash (since home and start-here can be renamed). I think renaming trash
> is pretty crack, and nautilus generates the mounted drive names to be
> unique, so i think we should just stick with the current behavior.

Renaming mounted volumes seems to be a reasonable request. Its not high
priority, but its still reasonable. Even better would be if it read the
volume name and used that for the icon, and then renaming it changed the
volume name. (Wouldn't work for CDs of course.)

> bug 45125 -- icon text size not associated with icon scaling
>
> I think font size should only be based on the zoom not on the scaling of
> icons using icon stretching.

I agree.

> bug 44772 -- double-clicking file name should start renaming (not open
> file)
>
> Personally i think clicking should never start rename, we have a rename
> option in the context menu, this is much cleaner and prevents users from
> accidentally starting rename. I would actually like to see click for
> rename removed from the list view as well since I'm always accidentally
> starting renaming when i just want to open a folder

This sounds like a ui detail that is very hard to get right (in fact, it
seems neither windows nor mac got it right). Right now we're totally
punting it, but the current method is sort of contrary to the direct
manipulation model nautilus uses.

I wouldn't be against someone experimenting with this, but we have to test
the behaviour a lot before accepting it.

> bug 46306 -- No way to change a link's target
>
> Is changing the target of a symlink a reasonable unix action?

It's normally done (in the shell) by creating a new link over the old one.
Of course that is a lot more work in nautilus than a shell. I think it is
a "reasonable" unix action, but certainly not common. Keep this bug
around.

> bug 46993 -- Nautilus doesn't show special directories . and .. even
> when "show hidden files" enabled
>
> I don't think showing these directories in graphical file manager really
> makes sense. they are more useful in the terminal where they are used to
> traverse the filesystem.

I agree.

> bug 47806 -- Changes to column widths are not saved
>
> List view. I don't think we should be saving column width because the
> contents of a directory may change. In this case it makes more sense for
> nautilus to automatically resize columns to optimal lengths (as it seems
> to do already).

I'm pretty sure the "optimal" sizes picked by nautilus will be wrong
sometimes, and you would then need to resize the columns each time you
visit a specific directory, so saving sizes (if you change them) makes
sense to me. The problem with saving sizes is that it's not easy to get
back to the automatic layout if you want.

> bug 48034 -- Implement Galeon-style tabs
>
> This is one of those things that just isn't that helpful in a file
> manager/desktop shell app. If we were trying to make nautilus into a
> good web browser it be one thing, but the general consensus seems to be
> thats what galeon is for.

Yeah. I don't want this, although it seems to be a much requested feature.

> bug 62201 -- Do not show dot files in Sidebar: Tree, even if "show dot
> files" enabled
>
> Why should we ignore the user chosen preference. I don't see the benefit
> of special casing this.

Yeah. It sounds pretty confusing.

> bug 70543 -- please add commands to bzip or tar and bzip to the
> right-click menu
>
> Isn't this what scripts support is for. I do think it would be nice to
> include some default scripts with nautilus though.

I think this sounds like a great idea. scripts are for user customization
or special needs, not core functionallity.

> bug 47829 -- link emblem doesn't look good when zoomed in 400 percent
>
> link emblem is a png, maybe in the future we should use svg for all
> emblems, but currently folders look pretty bad at 400 percent as well.

The crux folders look good at 400%, but the link emblem really look bad.
And it's such a simple icon too. Making it an svg makes a lot of sense to
me.

> bug 47103 -- need scaled version of Trash icon in default theme so it
> looks good
>
> Complains about the fact that default trash icon doesn't scale.
> Considering that the existing nautilus themes are pretty much
> unsupported, I think we should just close this. In the long term we'll
> probably just want to replace the existing nautilus themes with ones
> that are more gnomish anyway i would guess.

DaveB wants to remove stuff, film at eleven. :)

I would like a larger version of the blue trashcan, but since arlo doesn't
work on gnome any more that will be hard i guess.

> bug 84209 -- Display of text preview inside of nautilus icon cannont be
> turned off on a per-file basis
>
> User is concerned that they store their passwords in a text file and
> cannot turn off icon previewing per icon. They are worried that a co
> worker will see the icon preview and hence their password. My opinion is
> that text preview should be all on or all off. plus you shouldn't be
> storing passwords in unencrypted text files anyway.

Uhm? That bug number is a galeon bug.

Anyway it sounds like a pretty low-prio issue. I guess it could be nice to
have, but the ui to control it would probably clutter up the menus. The
easiest way to "fix" it is to add a few newlines (or text) at the start of
the file.

> bug 47902 -- Support Windows .ico file format
>
> I don't think we should be bending backwards to support non free specs.

I think we read .ico files these days, but we certainly can't parse them
from .exe files. I'm not gonna add that either.

> bug 68391 -- Themes are in strange directory
>
> Complains about the fact nautilus themes are in usr/share/pixmaps. I
> think this is a non issue since user installed themes are stored in
> ~/.nautilus/themes

It is pretty bogus. It should probably install in
/usr/share/themes/nautilus instead.

> bug 65058 -- add a way to do operations as another user (as "sudo" does
> on the command line)
>
> Seth expresses a concern about security in this bug. Personally I'm
> against this, based on the assumption that gnome is most likely to be
> used in more large scale installations, where most users don't have root
> access anyway. For home users is pretty easy to just use sudo from the
> terminal.

I'd like to have something like this. It has to be very well thought
out from a security perspective, but if nautilus is gonna compete with the
shell you need to be able to do anything, and logging out just to be able
to modify a root-only directory is pretty broken.

> A list of all the open news bugs. Whats the status of news in nautilus.
> Will it come back (I hope not). Can we just close these as this feature
> is no longer supported.
>
> News-----------------
> bug 48173
> bug 48187
> bug 48205
> bug 48452
> bug 48492
> bug 64362
> bug 65370
> bug 72226
> bug 73763
> bug 73825
> bug 77058
> bug 77939
> bug 80958
> bug 81678

Kill em.

> Similar issue with the hardware view. I brought this up a couple months
> ago, and someone got upset. Personally i think we should dump it. The
> hardware view is a)not very good and b) linux dependent. I think for the
> vast majority of users, distro specific tools like redhat's hardware
> browser serve the user much better.
>
> Hardware------------
> bug 46104
> bug 45996
> bug 42825
> bug 48351

Kill em.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a suave umbrella-wielding dwarf plagued by the memory of his family's
brutal murder. She's a strong-willed French-Canadian magician's assistant from
a secret island of warrior women. They fight crime!