Re: nautilus2 background flash

On Fri, 2002-06-07 at 07:15, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On 6 Jun 2002, Damon Chaplin wrote:

> > > Yeah, hack stopped working for some reason, and it was crashing on
> > > xservers that had different visuals for the root window and the gtk+
> > > default visual.
> > >
> > > I did some work that minimizes the time the background is gray, but it
> > > still flashes a bit.
> >
> > I'm afraid my fix for 74311 may have made it a bit worse, since it now
> > realizes the desktop window immediately. And this also results in it
> > of the size.
>
> I don't see why realizing it should make it worse? You're not showing the
> window.

Mainly because it loads the pixmap twice, I think. So first it displays
the background color/gradient without the pixmap, then when the pixmap
has been reloaded it redraws it all.

> > It might be an idea to use special code for the desktop background,
> > rather than EelBackground. Maybe even use the libbackground applier
> > code, since that is what gnome-settings-daemon uses to set the
> > background when nautilus isn't running.
>
> Ugh. That sounds conceptually ugly, and requires a fair amount of code to
> not regress on EelBackground features.

Currently the background is being redrawn way too often, even if you
just reload the desktop directory or add a file to it. This needs fixing
badly. (I've added a bug about it.)

Plus it seems silly to use different drawing code in
gnome-settings-daemon and nautilus.

Maybe we don't need to get rid of EelBackground. Just tweak it for the
desktop background.

Damon