Re: finding icons and emblems ...

On 11 Jul 2002, Michael Meeks wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> 	Reading through the truss churn again, I'm struck by the amount of
> effort we go to to find emblems / icons, going through several
> directories and every combination of .svg, .png, .jpg, and then several
> iterations of 'size' suffix.
'>
> 	This process, it seems to me is horribly time consuming, I count over
> 1000 at a typical (default theme) startup.

I hope to eventually (gnome 2.2 timeframe) rewrite the icon factory to use
GnomeIconLoader. This means we will support the new icon theming spec, and
I especially designed the spec and GnomeIconLoader to avoid this crap.

It is my belief that we will get a significant speedup from this. icon
factory stuff seem to be taking about 1/3 of the time when loading a large
directory.

> 	Worse - if you examine a theme such as ScaleableGorilla, you notice
> immediately that there is a fair chunk of duplication:

This is another problem.

> 	So ... I propose we extend the XML theme description file, that maps
> mime-type to .svg [ or png ] file, and that we fall back to the current
> [ more flexible ] approach for unknown types.
>
> 	I propose something like:
>
> <theme>
> 	<icons>
> 		<icon file="audio-notes" type="svg" sizes="72,96"/>
> 	</icons>
> 	<types>
> 		<type mime="application/x-ogg" icon="audio-notes"/>
> 		<type mime="audio/ac3" icon="audio-notes"/>
> 		<type mime="audio/mpeg" icon="audio-notes"/>
> 	</types>
> <theme>
>
> 	With a similar scheme for emblems.
>
> 	How does that sound ?

I need to think a bit how this would match the new icon theming. But
something like this needs to be done.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a witless voodoo farmboy moving from town to town, helping folk in
trouble. She's a ditzy foul-mouthed widow who believes she is the
reincarnation of an ancient Egyptian queen. They fight crime!