Re: Nautilus design choices redux

tis 2002-07-09 klockan 01.05 skrev textshell neutronstar dyndns org:

> > What are the advantages of external views over inline views?
[...]
>  - much easier UI, no menu merging and other intransparent stuff no confusion
>    about what e.g. edit/preferences does(preference merging? Uah).

For example: Load a textfile in the source code view in nautilus. You
will now have 2 * (Copy, Cut, Paste) in the Edit menu... Hmmm.

But my main problem with embedded views are the lack of functionality:
Browsing with the galeon-view is a pain compared to browsing with
standalone galeon. Because none of those important features that makes
galeon such a great browser is available when using the component.
-- And thats probably god, since the UI would be totally weird if the
menues and buttons of nautilus and galeon was merged.

> Choose one side:
>  - With full editing this in the long term implies that we move away from
>    applications as self managed parts of the system to bonobo controls to edit a
>    file that just go into an universal container.

Stop this bonobo madness!