Re: [Nautilus-List] Constructive Criticism Revisited

As a newcomer to Linux I have followed this thread with interest. I like
Nautilus very much - for its clean elegance as much as anything. The
more I use it and find out how to do things the more I like it. I hope
you will not mind such a tyro sticking his head over the parapet with a
suggestion. I use the tree a lot for moving and copying files with right
click for copying and left click for moving, and find it very convenient
in principle. In practice, however, I do not use 90% of it, which just
clutters everything up; especially when it constantly changes to showing
the folder I have just loaded into the window, so that I have to go
roaming up and down it to find the folder I now want. I also like the
elegance of the Evolution shortcuts, but can see the argument against
adding another sidebar panel.
	Is there any merit in simply having a tree that can be toggled between
SYSTEM (showing everything) and USER (showing only home folder, cdrom,
floppy etc)? Perhaps a couple of buttons at the top of the tree panel
could indicate SYSTEM and USER; maybe even a third button to toggle
between showing everything and folders only. Cdrom etc in the USER side
could perhaps be shown simply as CDROM, FLOPPY etc rather than
/mnt/cdrom etc. As an ordinary user who needs occasionally to access the
full tree I'm sure I would find this very useful, without the potential
confusion of more toolbar buttons or side panels.
	I hope I am not being silly and missing something obvious. It does seem
to me, however, after a few months of struggling with Linux, that a very
simple, undemanding interface that can be quickly toggled to one giving
more control over the system would be very appealing to the beginner.