[Nautilus-list] SMB: support

On Fri, 2002-02-15 at 07:26, Steve Fox wrote:
On Thu, 2002-02-14 at 16:58, David Moles wrote:
> Hey, is there a way to get Nautilus to do that for SMB, too? I
> hate having to have
>
> smb://[username]:[plain-text password for everyone looking over your
> shoulder to see] server/....

I could have sworn that about the time gnome-vfs-1.0.3 came out, people
said that GUI password prompting code was in CVS.

What happened to that?
It's there. It works. Although not very well with the smb: method.

Alex has put some code into CVS that uses the dialog, but it keeps asking for username and password. I looked into it and managed to get it work better. The problem is that at least nautilus looks into the shares when you just selected a host. This way, when selecting a host, it will prompt for username/password everytime it finds a share. It would be better if it just gave a list of shares and didn't try to look into them.

I know the smb: gnomevfs method uses a samba library, that's why it isn;t in the regualr gnome-vfs, but wouldn't it be better to just use calls to smbclient (like konqueror does)? That way, you don't link to GPL'ed software and thus such a method can exist in the regular gnome-vfs
     _________
    _/       \_      Dick Knol
   /__\_____/__\     dknol gmx net
     The SFinX       ICQ#: 28092044