Re: [Galeon-devel] Re: Galeon-Mozilla thread on nautilus-list from 2002 April

On Fri, 2002-08-23 at 13:11, Ricardo Fernández Pascual wrote:
> One of my goals when rewriting galeon's bookmark code was to keep it as
> independent of galeon as possible. It currently is a (static) lib that
> can be compiled without the rest of galeon. This was done for
> maintainability reasons only.
>
> So, the current bookmark library does not depend on galeon. However, it
> has been designed with a web browser in mind, and I'm not sure that it
> would be useful for a file manager.

Might be interesting to look at, at least. May I ask how it is 'designed
for a web browser' in some way that might not be appropriate for a file
manager? Granted, I hardly use bookmarks at all in galeon, and not at
all in nautilus, but I'm curious to know what you think the differences
are.

> In galeon2, the autocompletion system is also independent of galeon, and
> actually i had thought about cleaning it and the location entry widget
> and proposing them to libegg. It could be useful for entering filenames
> or urls.
>
> I wanted first to try to improve its performance. It currently takes a
> lot of time building the GtkTreeView and GtkListStore to show possible
> alternatives.

It would be cool to get it in, but it's definitely nearly unusably slow
ATM, at least in my (admittedly now very old) version of galeon2. Has
performance improved in the last couple of months?

Luis