Re: Nautilus tree sidebar / location field

On Thu, 2002-08-01 at 20:07, Reinout van Schouwen wrote:
> To recap, the discussion was about whether we could afford to remove the
> location bar from Nautilus (also discussed in bug 82107). An argument
> against it was that advanced users need a way to quickly reach their
> target. I proposed an incremental search feature in the Tree view (I

Just turn it off.

> believe that is already known as bug 41599), but that still wouldn't allow
> to arbitrarily open non-filesystem URLs nor would it allow to paste paths
> in a textfield. For the latter problem, a "File > Open location...
> [Ctl+L]" menu item was suggested (bug 82112).  Currently, Nautilus focuses
> the location bar (and shows it if it was hidden) when you press Ctl+L, but
> something new would of course be required if we lost the location bar. For

Why would we want to remove it totally? If it is hidden, it does not
hurt you if you dont need it.

> the first problem, I "discovered" that we already have a solution in GNOME
> 1.x, namely the Web Control applet. When ported to GNOME2, it could well
> take away all the objections to removing the location bar that are still
> standing. Whether or not to show the applet by default on the panel is
> open for discussion.

Ctrl-L wont focus the panel applet if I have focus on the nautilus
window.

> My question is if the people on these lists like this idea or can at least
> agree to posting it as a to-be-evaluated bug on bugzilla. I'm eager to
> hear your comments! =)

I am wondering what is wrong with the current solution? It works really
well and if you dont like the location bar just keep it hidden..?

Tuomas

--
:: :: Tuomas Kuosmanen  :: Art Director, Ximian :: ::
:: :: tigert ximian com :: www.ximian.com       :: ::