Re: [Usability]Re: Nautilus preferences proposal

On Tue, 2002-04-30 at 05:41, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> On 29Apr2002 07:03PM (-0400), Ettore Perazzoli wrote:
> > I don't think it makes sense to have the files both in the sidebar and
> > the main view -- it's just confusing.  What was Eazel's rationale for
> > that?
>
> I'm the one who did it that way originally, and at first it was an
> arbitrary decision. It did turn out to be somewhat useful, though, for
> two reasons. First, it's a nice quick way to move files. Second,
> Nautilus has the ability to view some types of files, such as text
> files and images, in-line, so you can use the feature to step through
> a folder full of images without having to go back to the directory in
> the main view every time.
>
> I have to admit that few people realize this is even possible,
> though. So maybe a good start would be to toggle the setting and see
> what the ratio of complaints to accolades is.

Yeah, I don't think this actual matches common usage patterns at all.

BTW, that kind of thing is achieved beautifully with the horizontally
stacked list view that the MacOS X Finder has...  I.e. when you click on
a file, you could get a preview on another pane on the right.

--
Ettore