[Nautilus-list] Location of Nautilus metadata files

Is there a way to specify the location of the various files that
Nautilus 1.0.6 generates?  I thought that there was a preference option
that allowed all metadata files to be placed in a single directory, but
I don't see that option any more.  Is it gone?

I'd really like to change the current behavior.  I use Nautilus to
manage images on a flash card, but it wastes valuable space on the flash
card by leaving its "droppings" on the card.  It's also a problem when
uploading directories to a web server.  These files end up in everything
that Nautilus touches.

Will the default behavior for this change in the next version of
Nautilus?

Thanks.

Gerald