Re: [Nautilus-list] nautilus desktop empty

On Sat, 2002-04-13 at 21:59, Philip Brown wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have installed nautilus 1.04 for the first time on freebsd 4.4 and it
> seems as it all installed fine from ports. i am not using a file-manager
> on this computer before this.
>
> i see that nautilus starts up and chenges my desktop image to a grey
> background.
>
> but no home folder... no right-clickability... no nautilus file manger
> window...
>
> i appreciate any feedback.
>
> thanx...
>
> i have tried to research documents but a). i am having trouble finding a
> homepage for nautilus b). where are the man pages for nautilus and
> finally c). it seems all the html users guide assumes that you have a
> working version of nautilus.
>
> p.s. i am running evolutiion 0.13 also and gnome 1.4.something.
>
> thanks again

Hi back;

I normally just lurk around here, but I think I can answer this
question. :)

First, select advanced under preferences on the menu bar.  This gives
you a lot more control, and since you did this from ports...

Then select Preferences -> Windows and Desktop, and check 'Use Nautilus
to draw the desktop'.  This will give you the icons and right button
menu.

You can use the Gnome control center to change the background, or, under
the edit menu, there's a thing called backgrounds and emblems.  You can
drag any of the colors or patterns to the desktop to change the
background.

Hope you enjoy nautilus as much as I have.

--
first impressions are bunk (unknown)