Re: Fw: [Nautilus-list] Proposed string changes to the Nautilus UI

On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, Eugene O'Connor wrote:

> Here is the beginning of the thread:
>
> http://lists.eazel.com/pipermail/nautilus-list/2002-March/008077.html

PROPOSED UI STRING CHANGES
1. Location: Go menu
Replace: Forget History
With: Clear History -or- Clear History List

Fine

2. Location: View menu
Replace: Hide sidebar
With: Hide side pane

I don't particularily like the word "pane", but if you've decided that is
what to use, fine.

3. Location: View menu
Replace: Hide status bar
With: Hide statusbar

fine

4. Location: View menu
Replace: Lay Out Items
With: Sort

I dislike using sort here, since the (quite important) tight layout and
manual layout is here to. I like "Arrange Items" better if you think
that's ok. Remember that when you change this you need to change this
elsewhere to, such as when you drop an icon somewhere and nautilus asks
you if you want to switch to manual layout. (This is probably true for the
other changes too btw.)

5. Location: View > Lay Out Items
Replace: Tighter Layout
With: Compact View

View is used with other meanings elsewhere, so this may be confusing.
What about Compact Arrangement or something.

6. Location: View menu
Replace: Reset View to Match Preferences
With: Reset View to Default

Fine

7. Location: Edit > Preferences, in the left pane of the Preferences
dialog
Replace: View Preferences
With: View Defaults

Fine

8. Location: Edit > Preferences, in the left pane of the Preferences dialog
Replace: Sidebar Panels
With: Side Pane

Fine. (I dislike pane)

9. Location: Edit > Preferences > View Preferences
Replace: Use tighter layout
With: Use compact view

Again, I'm Not sure about using view here.

10. Location: Edit > Preferences > Windows & Desktop
Replace: Use Nautilus to draw the desktop
With: Use Nautilus to draw the desktop background

I dislike using background here. We use background everywhere to mean the
color or the image used for the background, not the whole desktop. Every
other os just calls it "the Desktop", I don't see what we gain by calling
it the "the Desktop Background".

11. Location: Edit > Preferences > Windows & Desktop
Replace: Use your home folder as the desktop
With: Use your home folder as the desktop background

Same here.

12. Location: Edit > Preferences > Windows & Desktop
Replace: Display status bar in new windows
With: Display statusbar in new windows

fine

13. Location: Edit > Preferences > Windows & Desktop
Replace: Display sidebar in new windows
With: Display side pane in new windows

fine

14. Location: Edit > Preferences > Sidebar Panels
Replace: Display History tab in sidebar
With: Display History tab in side pane

fine

15. Location: Edit > Preferences > Sidebar Panels
Replace: Display News tab in sidebar
With: Display News tab in side pane

fine

16. Location: Edit > Preferences > Sidebar Panels
Replace: Display Notes tab in sidebar
With: Display Notes tab in side pane

fine

17. Location: Edit > Preferences > Sidebar Panels
Replace: Display Tree tab in sidebar
With: Display Tree tab in side pane

fine

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a leather-clad chivalrous card sharp with a mysterious suitcase
handcuffed to his arm. She's a sharp-shooting belly-dancing former first lady
who inherited a spooky stately manor from her late maiden aunt. They fight
crime!