[Nautilus-list] Re: [GNOME VFS] start-here: etc. vfs method

Maciej Stachowiak <mjs noisehavoc org> writes:
> Maybe we should consider putting the desktop method code in
> Nautilus. The other gnome-vfs module strongly tied to the GUI, the
> help module, is in Nautilus. I am not sure how useful this stuff is
> outside of Nautilus.

I think the panel should use programs: to get the programs menu.

> What's with all these doc changes? Are they are relevant part of your
> patch?

No, but they should be committed (the changes are what happens when
you run gtk-doc, which would typically be done with each commit to the
module).

> > +	result = (* parent_method->open) (parent_method,
> > +					  method_handle,
> > +					  file_uri,
> > +					  mode,
> > +					  context);
>
> Maybe it would be better to call regular gnome-vfs operations on file:
> URIs rather than trying to invoke the file method functions
> directly. The library-level operations sometimes do extra work in
> addition to the method function, or fill in default implementations of
> NULL operations.

OK, I have no idea. When you say "maybe" does this mean "you think so"
or "you don't know either"?

It does appear to work as-is, but I don't know if there are corner
cases.

> > +typedef enum
> > +{
> > +	SCHEME_FAVORITES,
> > +	SCHEME_PREFERENCES,
> > +	SCHEME_STARTHERE,
> > +	SCHEME_SYSCONFIG,
> > +	SCHEME_SERVERCONFIG,
> > +	SCHEME_PROGRAMS
> > +} SchemeID;
>
> How about putting underscores in these in cases where the
> corresponding URI has a hyphen, and making them patch otherwise? So
> "SCHEME_START_HERE", "SCHEME_SYSTEM_SETTINGS",
> "SCHEME_SERVER_SETTINGS".

Sure.

> > +typedef struct _SchemeDesc SchemeDesc;
> > +
>

> Would you mind using "Description" instead of "Desc"?

Nope.

> > +		case SCHEME_STARTHERE:
> > +			schemes[i].directories[0] = g_strdup ("/etc/X11/starthere");
>
> This should be relative to sysconfdir rather than hardcoded.

Yup.

> Same for these three. Maybe there should even be a path variable for
> thse things, since Nautilus installs the starthere directory and it
> might not be installed in the same prefix as gnome-vfs (not an issue
> if this code is put in Nautilus instead).

GNOME doesn't work if you mix various prefixes anyhow, though we
probably shouldn't contribute to the problem. ;-)

> > +static GnomeVFSURI*
> > +file_uri_to_desktop_uri (GnomeVFSURI *file_uri)
> > +{
> > +	/* FIXME we would need to implement this if
> > +	 * we wanted find_directory to work.
> > +	 */
> > +	return NULL;
> > +}
> > +
>
> Either this should be implemented or it should be removed and the
> non-workingness of find-directory should be made explicit in
> find-directory itself. Come to think of it, I'm not sure we need to
> translate back - nothing in the docs find_directory claims it needs to
> return a URI of the same scheme. Why not just return the untranslated
> URI?

Sounds fine to me.

Havoc