Re: [Nautilus-list] Freetype2 in Gnome2?
- From: Alex Larsson <alexl redhat com>
- To: Darin Adler <darin bentspoon com>
- Cc: Peter Snyder <kafer77a ameritech net>, Nautilus <nautilus-list lists eazel com>
- Subject: Re: [Nautilus-list] Freetype2 in Gnome2?
- Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 11:44:07 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Darin Adler wrote:
> on 10/19/01 10:31 PM, Peter Snyder at kafer77a ameritech net wrote:
> > Perhaps this is an obvious question, but once the freetype2 rendering
> > system is dropped and GTK2 will nativly do AA text, can one expect a
> > increase in speed, since there is less overhead?
> I don't see how gtk's antialiased text is any more "native" than the stuff
> used in Nautilus was. But we can hope that it's done better and is faster
> (and maybe superior in other ways too). We'll see when we finish the port.
Gtk+ uses the Xft extension for it's AA text rendering. This is a X
extension implemented by the server. On some/most hardware, glyph
renderering is accelerated, so it is probably faster.
] [Thread Prev