[Nautilus-list] cool things people are doing with Nautilus

Hi everyone,

First off, congrats to Darin and the rest of you for the 1.0.5 release! It's exciting to see Nautilus continue to get better (well, I can't see it just now because my libraries are a bit broken, but I'll find out in a few days).

I was reading through the /. posts and came across Miguel's post (below). It made me realize that I, too, don't really have a good sense of the cool things I can do with Nautilus. Maybe it's time to put together a screenshots/cool stuff people are doing with Nautilus. Kind of like a Nautilus portal that has links to screenshots, and the RSS page, and a page that has bunches of scripts, and themes etc. I'd love to go there.

Is anyone interested in working on this? I wouldn't mind lending a hand but can't do this alone.

Bart

For a long time I stuck to GMC as my desktop manager, because I figured someone had to run it if we planned on keeping people with small systems happy (there are a lot of under powered machines out of the US).

I finally made the switch because of the simplicity and cleanliness of Nautilus. I did not like Nautilus 1.0, I felt there were too many taste differences between my way of working and Nautilus way of working.

But the Nautilus hackers were quick to respond to the input of the user community, and by the time Nautilus 1.0.3 came out, they had addressed most of the community issues.

Today people are using Nautilus in really creative ways, and I finally made the switch because of all this creativity. Tuomas has a `magnets' package for his desktop and a set of images to play free-form solitaire on the desktop. Sure, they are just toys, but like that there are hundreds of other things being done with Nautilus.

The core foundation in Nautilus is sound, and a lot of people are doing really creative things. For example someone wrote a "3D" viewer for directories. You can at any point switch your default view into 3D-view inside the window. It is just a Bonobo component, you do not even need to touch the Nautilus code to add these third-party views.

Some other people have been writing Nautilus scripts, and I have been using a few of them. They could use some polish, but for being user-contributed things, they are pretty nice.

I also noticed that the new Windows XP shell incorporated various ideas that were in Nautilus or earlier versions of Nautilus and some others were demoed as concepts by Andy as potential services to consumers.

I would like to extend's Andy's idea of "actions" that are available on the left pane to be more comprehensive as it is on XP.

Other features in Nautilus are its support for SVG-icons. Something that has been overlooked for some time. I did not knew about this until I saw someone's desktop with these huge icons (common used things were huge, others were there just for reference). Those huge icons looked perfect (maybe they were 100x100 size), when I asked I found out that it was the new Tuomas/Jakub set of SVG icons.

Many hackers have been using pictures of themselves as their desktop "home". For example Nat's personal home directory has a `Friends' directory, and each `Friends' folder has a high resolution picture of his friends, where he keeps his information. He has a picture of his car for details about his car. Maybe he can post a screenshot of his desktop so you get an idea.

There are many more creative uses of Nautilus out there, but I have to say that as the product matures, more and more options are available.

But Nautilus overall makes for a terrific file manager, but it takes some time to get the best out of it.

I still want to see some of Andy's experimental code that allowed live objects to be shown in Nautilus. At some point I saw someone's desktop contain various "web sites" in a folder. Instead of using an RSS feed, various mini-web sites (fully functional) were embedded into a directory. I wish someone could send me a link to this url.

Miguel.