[Nautilus-list] monitoring the metafiles..

HOW ARE YOU GENTLEMEN?

Okay. that joke is getting old, so lets stop that right now.

Anyway, I was surfing the web the other day and bumped into TortoiseCVS.
It is a fine GPL addition to W*ndows Explorer that integrates CVS to the
file manager on Wind*ws.

Lookie here:

    http://www.wincvs.org/TortoiseCVS/

Some hilights:

        * It shows updated/patched/locally modified files with a color
          overlay on top of the icon
        * You have right click -> CVS commit etc for files on the file
          view.
        * It looks like it is useful and handy.

Now, I think this would be _incredibly_ useful for Nautilus, since
seeing changed stuff visually would rule. We could also make scripts
that used the web based CVS tools like Bonsai and LXR, so you could jump
into that exact file on LXR by right clicking the icon on Nautilus and
choosing "CVS -> View Cross Reference" or something. I think it would
RULE. Also for CVS add, commit, diff etc. scripts would be very trivial
to do. Even with simple dialogs using gnome-perl or python.

This status indication thing for icons would be pretty easy to implement
with a nautilus-script wrapper for CVS that would poke the
.nautilus-metafile.xml on the directory and set emblems (one could then
do a bunch of CVS related emblems for "updated", "conflict" and so on)

 | The only thing we need (again) is to make Nautilus monitor |
 | its own metafiles so that the added emblems get updated in |
 | the directory view.                                        |

What do people think? The code seems to have a FIXME for this already,
someone just needs to sit down and hack this I guess? I am going to hack
some CVS scripts, but they would be a LOT more useful if the status
emblems would work. I guess I finally need to learn to use XML :)

Tuomas

--
:: :: Tuomas Kuosmanen  :: Art Director, Ximian :: ::
:: :: tigert ximian com :: www.ximian.com       :: ::