Re: [Nautilus-list] script w/ mime handling

On Tue, 2001-10-16 at 16:32, John Sullivan wrote:

    Note that you can still write and use scripts like those now. They
    can invoke programs that check the MIME type before converting. It
    would be nicer if the utility of the script could be determined
    before it was chosen instead of afterwards, but the current system
    doesn't prevent anything.

One weird idea I had one day, would be a hierarchy on the scripts dir
like:

	.gnome/nautilus-scripts/mime/image/jpeg/

Now I dont know if this would be something the hackers would like, but
it would make sense for me that it might work.

Lets say I have two scripts. One is "Rotate JPEG image left" (to correct
the vertical digital photos, using jpegtran so the image quality is not
lost. This only works for jpeg images. So I would put it to

	".gnome/nautilus-scripts/mime/image/jpeg/Rotate JPEG image left"

The another script I have is "Scale to 640x480", this works for all
images. Now I could put this to

	".gnome/nautilus-scripts/mime/image/Scale to 640x480"

A script that works with all files would be just like now, on the
nautilus-scripts folder.

I guess you get the idea. One could then symlink stuff when needed to
add scripts to different places on the mime directories. We could even
have some kind of a nautilus view for moving the scripts around in the
hierarchy etc. But using this kind of thing would make it pretty easy to
also install new scripts if people want to share those, just have a
script to put the files on the right directory under the Nautilus
scripts dir.

I am probably on crack though, since I dont know if this would work on
practice (I dont really program myself, I just debug some perl scripts
into existence sometimes :)

Tuomas

    John
--
:: :: Tuomas Kuosmanen  :: Art Director, Ximian :: ::
:: :: tigert ximian com :: www.ximian.com       :: ::