[Nautilus-list] Re: detecting automounted nfs dirs

Darin Adler wrote:

> on 10/8/01 10:18 AM, Stephen Browne at stephen browne sun com wrote:
>
> > I'm wondering if nautilus / gnome-vfs makes any distinction between
> > automounted nfs dirs (for example home dirs) and ordinary local dirs.
>
> It doesn't.

okay thats what I was expecting you to say.
I'm glad you did because I thought I was going crazy :)

> > The gnome-vfs nfs module always marks nfs dirs as not local but
> > when I use any of the "Show blah in blah for local files only"
> > options in Nautilus it doesn't seem to pick up the fact that my home
> > dir is nfs mounted.
>
> The gnome-vfs nfs module is only involved when you use an "nfs:" URI. It has
> no effect on getting at those NFS directories with "file:" URIs. A gnome-vfs
> module defines a new URI scheme -- it doesn't have a way to modify the
> behavior of existing schemes.

Right, I understand that.

> > I think it will work for any nfs mount that is specified in the fstab
> > (I looked at the volume-monitor code of nautilus)
> > but it seems to treat automounted dirs the same a local dirs.
>
> What do you think will work for any nfs mount that is specified in the
> fstab?

Are these dirs accessed via the nfs: uri rather than file:  ?
in which case the speed tradeoffs may work.

> What specific behavior in Nautilus do you want? You want it to "make a
> distinction", I understand that. But what specifically do you want it to do
> differently. Once you get clear on that, we may be ready to write a bug
> report or change the code a bit.

Okay an automounted NFS dir in not local, but nautilus will treat it as a
local filesystem where the speed tradeoff options are concerned.

For example the "Show count of items in Folders" when set to "Local files only"
has no effect where nfs mounted directories are accessed via the file: uri

Am I making any sense?

I have an internal bug for solaris on this.
There was a bug logged in bugzilla.eazel.com  [ 8539]
but Im not sure what the number is after it got transfered to gnome.org.

the synopsis was:
limiting 'Show Count of items in folder' in Speed Tradeoffs has no effect...

Stephen