Re: [Nautilus-list] FAM problems

On Fri, 2001-10-05 at 10:24, Darin Adler wrote:

on 10/5/01 12:21 AM, Yoann Vandoorselaere at yoann mandrakesoft com
wrote:

    > Yes, it seem that notification do not work (Fam notice the directory
    > change and tell Nautilus, but Nautilus doesn't seem to react). That's
    > also the behavior I'm experiencing here (I'll try to post more data on
    > this).

    If this has stopped working, it's most likely due to the changes Alex
    Larsson made to use g_io_channel instead of gdk_input_add. Maybe this new
    code doesn't work as portably as the old?

I have noticed these things, thought they might be interesting:

When things work, I see this:

    ($:~)-> ps auxw | grep fam
    tigert   23531  0.2  0.4  3412 1152 ?    S    07:59   0:27 fam

When things dont work, I see this:

    ($:~)-> ps auxw | grep fam
    root     12345  0.2  0.4  3412 1152 ?    S    07:59   0:27 fam

(the above is fake mockup, but you get the idea) FAM doesnt change the
user-id to the username-that-uses-it for some reason. When it does work
right with Nautilus, it changes it. FAM seems to get started by nautilus
in any case though.

I managed to get things working by doing all of the following more or
less repeatedly :)

        * oaf-slay
        * killall gconfd-1 (I doubt this does anything to this though)
        * killall nautilus (oaf-slay should do this, right?)
        * killall fam as root, rm -rf /tmp/.fam_socket /tmp/.fam*
        * a bunch more oaf-slays just to make sure it is really dead :-)
        * Restarted INETD (since FAM runs from inetd, at certain cases
          it seems that FAM would get hosed (fam test wouldnt work),
          doing a killall fam; /etc/init.d/inetd restart fixed that.

I really dont know yet which of the above did the trick, or whether it
was a combination of some of the above.

I also dont know if this works for CVS HEAD nautilus, I am just
compiling it now - I'll let you know if I manage to get FAM working with
it.

Tuomas

--
:: :: Tuomas Kuosmanen  :: Art Director, Ximian :: ::
:: :: tigert ximian com :: www.ximian.com       :: ::