Re: [Nautilus-list] nautilus-1.0.4-gmc.patch

le mer 03-10-2001 à 18:23, Darin Adler a écrit :
> This feature, reading scripts from the mc/desktop-scripts directory and
> executing them all, doesn't seem right to me for Nautilus. If this
> housekeeping task needs to be done, I don't see why it's the Nautilus
> executable that should do it. It seems like a first-time setup that could be
> done by some other code.

I agree this should be done at first-time setup but this is also needed
when users delete their ~/.gnome-destop (that is why I added this code
in nautilus-file-utilities.c)

> As I understand it, the reason you want this feature is so that icons can be
> preinstalled on the desktop. In the long run, if you help me understand
> better what the requirements are for setting up an initial set of icons on
> the desktop, then we can figure out what feature to add to Nautilus. I'd
> like to hear from others working on other distributions about how they deal
> with icons that they want on the desktop.

This is really a distribution feature.. As Havoc explained, RedHat seems
to have choosen the "Start-Here" approach (which has been merged in
default Nautilus codebase..)
At MandrakeSoft, we try to ship a light desktop with only two or three
icons (in addition to Nautilus ones). I added support for gmc desktop
scripts because it was the fastest (but ugliest) way to do this..

Here is another suggestion which could be used by all distributions :
instead of copying start-here.desktop from $(datadir)/nautilus to
~/.gnome-desktop,
1- we create $(datadir)/nautilus/default-desktop and we put
start-here.desktop
2- each distribution packager (and system administrator too) can add as
many .desktop as they want in $(datadir)/nautilus/default-desktop, with
a .nautilus-metafile.xml
3- create_starthere_link_callback is renamed into something like
create_default_desktop_callback, and copy content of
$(datadir)/nautilus/default-desktop into ~/.gnome-desktop

Are you ok with this design ? If so, I'll do a patch and will ask for
review here..

--
Frédéric Crozat
MandrakeSoft