[Nautilus-list] Re: mozilla view plan

Havoc Pennington wrote:

Hi,

How doomed are we here? I'm making the assumption we have no GTK 2
based Mozilla for at least a year or two.

This means we can't link the Mozilla view to any of GNOME 2.

I would say more like 6 months. I've been talking with Owen on and off for the last couple of weeks and I have a good idea of what the architecture is going to look like in my head. Assuming people leave me alone, I should have something that works in the next 2 months.

Maybe we reimplement XEMBED for GTK 1.2, then use a custom hack to
embed the Mozilla component in a view, which is in turn a bonobo 2
component? I'm imagining the breakage caused by double-nested
plug/socket...

You've making my head hurt.

Maybe we could roll a GTK 2 Mozilla really quickly right after 1.0, on
the maintained Mozilla 1.0 branch? Sounds unlikely.

No, that's completely reasonable. That's what I was expecting to do. In general, fixes at the widget layer that are applied to the tip will be applied to the branch as well. Those are slow moving interfaces because it takes so many people to get their heads together to make any changes and they are extremly fragile.

--Chris

--
Christopher Blizzard