[Nautilus-list] Nautilus always running with session style "Trash"

I have read the short thread on this list, beginning with Louis Garcia's
posting of 10th May, "Nautilus 1.0.3 problem". However, there doesn't
seem to be any response about whether this is a nautilus bug or
something specific to my (and others') setups.

In a nutshell: Nautilus always starts with session property trash, and
so doesn't restart the next time I start GNOME despite my having
Automatically Save Session on Exit switched on.

In detail: First try: If I start GNOME and Nautilus is not running I
start it from the GNOME Programs -> Applications menu. In the GNOME
Control Centre under Session Properties & Startup Programs I have
"Automatically save changes to session" enabled. So, with Nautilus still
running I log out of GNOME, and then back in. Nautilus does not start
automatically.

Second try: I start GNOME, start Nautilus, go to GNOME Control Centre,
Session Properties & Startup Programs, go to the "Startup Programs" tab,
and click "Browse Currently Running Programs ..." and I see that
Nautilus is running with Style "Trash". So I change its style from
"Trash" to "Normal" (should it be "Normal" or "Respawn"). I then log out
of GNOME and restart GNOME. Nautilus starts automatically. HOWEVER: If I
now log out again and restart Nautilus DOESN'T start automatically.

Basically whenever Nautilus is started automatically on logging in to
GNOME it starts with style "Trash", and if I do not manually change it
it will not restart automatically when I next restart GNOME.

Why is this?

I am running Ximian GNOME 1.4 with all updates installed, so I'm on
Nautilus 1.0.3, and I'm running Linux Mandrake 7.1.

D. D. Brierton               Department of Philosophy, University of Edinburgh
ddb cogsci ed ac uk                            http://www.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~ddb