Re: [Nautilus-list] Re: GNOME user environment brainstorming

On 24 May 2001 18:33:29 -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Tim Reilly <reilly zk3 dec com> writes:
> > >
> > > - desktop is for:
> > >    - user shortcuts to programs, etc.
> > >    - showing removable devices
> > >    - Trash, Home, Start Here icons
> >
> > Hrm. I think the desktop is a terrible places to keep program icons,
> > given the panel. Why? Because windows cover my desktop! It's hard to get
> > to the desktop, which is the lowest level, when I've got a few windows
> > open.
>
> I've heard that Windows users tend to maximize an app, work, iconify,
> pick a new app to maximize, work, etc. My experience is that this is
> true. So they would see the desktop in between apps.

the windows users i know don't minimize their windows but they start
apps from the menu or the shortcuts on the panel.

> I agree there's a bit of a problem with the panel and desktop
> overlapping as locations for shortcuts, especially since they behave
> slightly differently. I don't know the best way to resolve that.
>
> > I think the panel is a great place for program shortcuts, as well. the
> > panel is on top, flush to the edge, and is independant of the
> > no-desktop/Nautilus/GMC choice.
>
> FWIW we are basically going with "you run Nautilus unless you're an
> advanced user." The only issue there is performance; but it will get
> fixed over time.
>
> > >- Remove bevels from desk guide, use a more "flat" appearance
> >
> > I think that would be visually confusing.
>
> This is for the inside of it, not the border. The problem is that the
> bevels are kind of oddly doubled and are too obtrusive, concealing the
> windows.
>
> > Don't remove the KDE menus, IMO, because there's no other good way to
> > get to those programs, if you use them.
>
> There will be or should be, they should simply be in the main Programs
> menu. Users don't care if it's a KDE app or not.

i've heard some talk on the kde ml's that gnome and kde menus will be
integrated.

Does anyone know something about this?

--
Evandro