Re: [PMH] Re: [Nautilus-list] Idea for Nautilus and GMC.

On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 12:28:26PM -0400, Elliot Lee wrote:
> On Thu, 24 May 2001, Eric Mitchell wrote:
>
> > However, you could rig up an LD_PRELOAD shared library to handle
> > some useful system calls (open, unlink, etc.)
>
> Nope. LD_PRELOAD intercepts library calls, but that doesn't prevent people
> from calling system calls directly...

Odd.

Have you used fakeroot before?  That's exactly what it does, and it
seems to work fine.

---
fakeroot  works by replacing the file manipulation library
functions (chmod(2), stat(2) etc.) by ones  that  simulate
the  effect the real library functions would have had, had
the user really been root. These wrapper functions are  in
a  shared library /usr/lib/libfakeroot.so* which is loaded
through the LD_PRELOAD mechanism of  the  dynamic  loader.
(See ld.so(8))
---

--
Ian Peters      "...it is 5 am and the sun has charred the other
itp gnu org      side of the earth and come back to us and painted