[Nautilus-list] gnocam camera:// moniker and thumbnailing

Hi,

First let me say, Nautilus rocks. I know people have complained about it, but for those of us with scanners, digital cameras, and mp3 files, it's really nice. Not perfect, but nice. And getting better all the time.

I've been playing with the gnocam bonobo & vfs plugin to get at the pictures on my Powershot S20. I had to hack the gnocam source to get permissions to read the files from the camera; by default, they have a permissions mask of 0000 and are owned by root. This has a couple of effects. First, I can copy the files off the camera to my desktop, but them I have to reset permissions on all of them to get the thumbnails to display. Second, it seems to impede Nautilus from thumbnailing the images while they're on the camera.

Another problem is, Nautilus cannot make a ".thumbnails" directory on the camera, so it cannot display thumbnails at all. It might be nice to have nautilus use a substitute directory in my home dir for read-only media like cameras and CDROMs, so that it can still show thumbnails for images on read-only media. Maybe ~.thumbnails/proxy/camera:__previews s20/IMG_0336.JPG.png"

... just an idea.

-M