[Nautilus-list] Testing Nautilus 1.0.1 snapshot

The Nautilus team is preparing Nautilus 1.0.1, which is a translation and
i18n release.  We currently have a snapshot for 1.0.1 which we would like
people to test in various locales.  Please report any bugs you find which
are related to running a localized version of Nautilus at
http://bugzilla.eazel.com .

Please follow these instructions:

    1.  SELECTING A LOCALE
        Pick a Language/locale to adopt.

        Language Name (locale in parentheses)
        --------------------------
        Swedish (sv)
        German (de)
        French (fr)
        Norwegian (no)
        Spanish (es_ES)
        Italian (it)
        Japanese (ja_JP)
        [...]

    2. LATEST SCROLLKEEPER
       Please grab the latest ScrollKeeper (0.2.0) here:

       You will need this to have localized document categories in the
       help sidebar.  Note you will not get the localized categories if
       there are no localized documents registered with ScrollKeeper.

    3. BUILDING (optional)
       If you are building Nautilus from source, make sure that
       you type "unset LINGUAS" before you configure, build, and
       install each of: nautilus, ammonite, gnome-vfs.  Many
       Linux distributions have this as their default.

       For example, for eazel-hacking you would use:
        $ cd-nautilus
        $ unset LINGUAS
        $ cg
        $ make && make install

       You should make sure you are running nautilus, ammonite, and
       gnome-vfs from the stable branches:
            package            branch
           ---------       --------------
           Nautilus        nautilus-1
           gnome-vfs       gnome-vfs-1-0
           ammonite        ammonite-0-9-0

    4. RPMS (optional)
       For Red Hat 6.2 or 7.0:

       You should first install Nautilus 1.0, along with all its
       dependencies.  Simply follow the instructions here:
          http://www.eazel.com/download

       Then upgrade the Nautilus RPMs to the 1.0.1 candidates from
       here:
          http://developer.eazel.com/download/candidate/RH6/
          http://developer.eazel.com/download/candidate/RH7/

    5. RUNNING NAUTILUS
       Run Nautilus with the following commands:
          $ killall -9 nautilus ; nautilus-clean.sh -x
             GDM_LANG=<loc>
          $ nautilus
       Where <loc> is one of: ja_JP, es_ES, de, fr, it

    6. IDENTIFYING BUGS
       We are looking for any bugs which occur in the localized
       version of Nautilus except for:

         * Strings which appear untranslated because they have
           not been translated in the po file, but which are
           properly marked for translation.

       We are especially looking for any crashes which occur or
       functionality which is broken.  We are also interested in
       any dialogs or part of the UI which is broken in certain
       locales.

       Note that there has not been very much real-world testing
       of Nautilus in many locales.  Please report all bugs you
       find so we can fix them as soon as possible.

    7. IDENTIFYING IF A STRING IS TRANSLATED
       If you find a string which is untranslated and would like
       to identify if it is marked for translation, you will need
       to look in the po file for that module.  For example, for
       French you look in <module>/po/fr.po.  It lists pairs of
       English strings followed by the translated string.  For example,
       a translated message appears as:
          #: components/hardware/Nautilus_View_hardware.oaf.in.h:4
          msgid "Hardware view"
          msgstr "Vue du matériel"
       While an untranslated string appears as:
          #: components/hardware/Nautilus_View_hardware.oaf.in.h:4
          msgid "Hardware view"
          msgstr ""
       If you do not find the string in the po file at all, then
       the string is not marked for translation and should be
       reported as a bug.  Note that strings may appear in
       any of the three modules: Nautilus, gnome-vfs, ammonite

    8. SMOOTH FONTS
       Some locales, such as Japanese and Korean, require smooth
       fonts which are not typically present on standard distributions.
       Without these fonts, the sidebar will show "???" in place of
       the correct characters.  This is not a bug in Nautilus.

    9. REPORTING BUGS
       Report bugs at http://bugzilla.eazel.com and mark them as
       being part of the "Internationalization (i18n)" component.

Please note that the only locales which are 100% translated are:
	Spanish (es, es_ES)
	Brazilian Portuguese (pt_BR)
	Norwegian (no)
	Swedish (sv)
	German (de)

For all other locales, you should expect a certain amount of untranslated
strings.  If you would like to test if a string is marked for translation,
one easy way is to run Nautilus in one of these 5 locales and see if it
appears localized.

Thanks for your help in making Nautilus as stable and fully-localized as
possible.

Eli <eli eazel com>
Dan <dan eazel com>