Re: [Nautilus-list] Top 21 Nautilus Feature Requests

on 3/28/01 5:52 AM, mike at mike cyborg-group com wrote:

> My main view on this that Nautilus should start from the level of
> functionality of gmc
>
> From your list these are in gmc but not in nautilus
>
>> 1.  Speed!
>> 2.  Ability to more easily move files around (using either
>> cut/copy/paste or shelf idea)
>
> GMC lets you copy/move to and opens up a browse window - far more
> intuitive

We've got cut/copy/paste in CVS HEAD now. We deliberately chose it over
GMC-style copy/move-to, which requires typing of long path names correctly
to work.

>> 3.  View .tar, .rpm packages
>
> Most used feature
>
>> 4.  Ability to delete files directly

We've got this in CVS HEAD now.

>> 5.  Integrated shell features

Which integrated shell features are in GMC?

Nautilus now has the ability to run an arbitrary script at any time on the
selected items, which could be considered an integrated shell feature.

>> 6.  Better browser functionality (inc. Download functionality, Mozilla
>> related problems etc.)
>
> Personally I fail to see the point when you are accessing mozilla anyway
> and generally opening moz is quicker
>
>> 7.  A no-frills, lean and mean file manager (no Mozilla, no services)
>
> yep

This is a different product than Nautilus. GMC is lean and mean, and we
heard tons of complaints about how feature-poor and generally insufficient
it is. So making Nautilus more like GMC in this way will certainly not
please everyone.

I guess the real goal is to make Nautilus enough faster that nobody cares
that it is far more capable than GMC.

>> 10.  Elegant way to drop app launcher icons on the desktop

>> 13.  Sort directories before individual files

This is in CVS HEAD now.

>> 15.  Stability

Keep those bug reports coming. We try to fix every crashing-type bug as soon
as we can, and there are very very few still open in Bugzilla.

>> 20.  TLC to Tree View and List View (easy Rename in List View, for
>> example)

GMC did not have in-line Rename at all, in any view.

I'd like to hear specifics about how GMC's tree view is considered better
than Nautilus's.