Re: [Nautilus-list] gconf brain damage

On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 03:44:23PM -0500, Galton, Simon (galtons AECL CA) wrote:
> I get a similar error at the end (the font issue) and it has been suggest
> that this problem is the real root of Nautilus not starting.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?

Well, I had a problem with nautilus not starting at all. It came up with
lots of wierd CORBA/OAF errors about not being able to connect to server
then put up that font error and segfaulted.

So I installed the rpm of GConf from eazel's web page and I got a
completely different collection of error messages. When I tried to run
nautilus I got hundreds of these messages:

** WARNING **: GConf error:
  Object Activation Framework error:
 OAF problem description: ''

Then nautilus STARTED - quite a novelty for me!

The odd thing is, when I removed the rpm of GConf (masochism maybe?) and
recompiled the source for GConf 1.0, I continued getting the above error
and it continued working. In upshot, installing the rpm of GConf and
then REMOVING it again solved the font problem. I'm sure I cleaned out
everything in /etc /usr/bin and /usr/lib before reinstalled 1.0.

I'm confused. By the way nautilus starts but it won't save any of my
settings. I'm beginning to curse the day I ever saw GConf - it causes
nothing but problems and everything that uses it is broken.

           Andrew

--
|Andrew Williams | andrew alshain org uk        |