Re: [Nautilus-list] nautilus won't start

On 19 Mar 2001, hanne wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i installed gnome 1.4b2 including nautilus 1.0 from sources. now when i
> start gnome everything goes smoothly except when it wants to start
> nautilus. i just won't happen. when i try to start nautilus from an
> xterm, same thing, it just sits there and does nothing. no errors, no
> nautilus. any ideas?

One possibility is that you have evil processes hanging around which
didn't get killed.  This problem only seems to be visible if you run
Nautilus without the Nautilus desktop enabled and then quit it and try to
start a new Nautilus process.  Does this describe your situation?

If so, try: killall -9 nautilus ; nautilus-clean.sh -x

In fact, you may even have to do this a few times before everything gets
killed.

Then launch Nautilus and it should work.

I'll be interested to hear if this was the problem you were having.

Dan