Re: [Nautilus-list] Audio preview

Ross Burton wrote:

In order to address all of these issues, I have created a threaded audio playback mechanism. This would require nautilus to use the audiofile library in gnome cvs.  This library is based on the SGI audio file library and is pretty decent. In the absence of a real media architecture in gnome, this library is a good stand in.  The code itself could easily be modified to use a different audio library and sound output should the need arise.

A short term drawback is that we would lose previewing of mp3 files. This would be easy to fix. I could quickly submit a module to the audiofile library to handle the parsing of mp3 files.  This small drawback is pretty minor in terms of the gains we would get form using a library as opposed to hardcoded application names.

Does anyone have any feedback or suggestions?

I'm sure this has been asked before, but why doesn't GNOME move over to
aRts so that KDE and GNOME both use the same sound API?  I've just had a
proper look at the web site and aRts even has OSS and ESoundD wrappers.
:-)

The problem at the moment is too many sound APIs!

Ross Burton

Hmmm . . . . last time I played with it, aRts was even less stable than esd . . .

-b