Re: [Nautilus-list] Thumbnails of large images (and some misc.Nautilus opinions)

on 3/20/01 3:43 PM, Matthew Walton at mxw00u Cs Nott AC UK wrote:

> John Sullivan wrote:
>
>> Bug 3328 is about having a preference for the upper limit of thumbnails.
>> Bug 5081 is about some other way to determine the lower limit for
>> thumbnails.
>
> I really should get in the habit of checking Bugzilla before I start moaning
> about things...
>
>>> In general I like Nautilus, although it would be nice if the filetypes
>>> worked properly. I set up a MIME type for LyX files, set the default
>>> action to open them in Lyx, and lo and behold, when I double-click on
>>> them Nautilus says it has no internal viewer capable of handling them. I
>>> know! That's why I want them to open in LyX when I double-click on them!
>>> Just a little niggle.
>>
>> This does work in general. I am curious about what went wrong in your case.
>> Were you using Nautilus 1.0 or an older version when you had this problem?
>> How did you set the default action (in the File Types & Programs capplet or
>> in the Open with Other... dialog)?
>
> I'm using 1.0, and this happened this afternoon. I used the File Types &
> Programs Capplet to set it up, although I did get at it from the Open with
> Other... dialog. Does that make a difference? I can still view it in LyX if I
> right-click and choose LyX from the Open With menu, but I'm sure I set the
> default action to be LyX - and that's a double-click, right?

It should have worked. Can you check something for me? In Nautilus, choose
one of these files and select Open With > Other Application... Then select
LyX in the list at the top. What does it say in the box underneath the list
that's titled "LyX"? (Does it say it's the default?)

>> Someone else on this list just pointed out that you can now implement your
>> own delete command using the new Scripts menu that's in Nautilus in CVS
>> HEAD. Not to say that we will never add a delete command, but you don't have
>> to wait for it to be added to Nautilus; you can do it yourself.
>
> Except that I can't checkout anything that big from CVS due to various
> restrictions and irritating limits imposed by my university's network, so I'll
> have to wait for the next release of Nautilus, or persuade a friend to make a
> snapshot tarball for me.

Ah, bummer. Sorry I can't help with university policy!  : )

John