RE: [Nautilus-list] Results of MIT usability testing

I've been reading this thread with interest, and I have a quick suggestion.

If a user double-clicks on a document or editable item, they expect an
application
to appear and for the document to be loaded.  They are not expecting a menu,
or anything
else for that matter.

Might I suggest that an enhancement be made to the menu which appears with a
right-
mouse-click on the item, which Windows folks sometimes call the "context
menu".  I'd
like to see a list of open with... options:
 ____________
|other       |
|menu        |
|choices     |
==============
|Open with...|
|  gedit     |
|  gnotepad  |
|  otheredit |
|____________|

This cuts down on complex clicking and poking.  As I'm sure you all know,
under
Windows Explorer you can hold down shift and right-mouse-click an icon and
get an
Open With item in the menu.  Choosing Open With brings up a dialog box which
slowly
populates with all registered executables.  Most of these can't even
intelligently
deal with the item you're trying to open - ie: you're opening an .mp3 and
one of
the options is Notepad.  You have to scroll up and down the list, find the
item,
select it then hit Okay.  That's one keypress and two clicks and a big
scrollbar
drag.  The Open with... menu options get the job done in one or two clicks.

Just my 2 cents.

Simon